I’ve said before that I’m not much of a cook. But I like to bake because it’s hard to mess it up and it feels like a treat. Here’s something fun to do for a themed movie night at home, Minion Cupcakes from the Despicable Me movie. I find that making a theme night makes staying in with the kids a lot more fun.
Despicable Me is one of the few kid movies I can sit through. It’s a cute story and there are a lot of clever jokes aimed at the parents. We like to have a movie night once a week when we dim the lights and I make some popcorn. The kids sell tickets and make a concession stand and my husband and I pantomime buying tickets and popcorn and being shown to our seats. This week we branched out and made themed Minion cupcakes from the Despicable Me movie. If you’ve seen the movie, you’ll recognize these guys.
What You Will Need for Despicable Me Minion Cupcakes:
- Twinkies, halved. If you are making a dozen you’ll need six Twinkies)
- Smarties for eyes. The only problem here is that you have to buy a lot of Smarties to get enough white ones. The ratio of white to colored is pretty bad. If you want to skip that problem, you can buy Altoids, they are the same size, though it’s maybe a little weird to have mints on a cupcake.
- Black icing tube for details
- Chocolate jimmies (sprinkles). The longer ones make better hair, so look for those ones.
- Blue (or whatever color you want) frosting or icing. Color with food coloring.
- Bake and frost your cupcakes as usual.
- Cut Twinkies in half and lay on the flat side on a plate. It will be easier to decorate this way.
- Squeeze two circles of icing/frosting on the Twinkies in the place where you will put the Smarties glasses.
- Press the Smarties into the icing/frosting and some of it will smoosh out and make it look like the glasses are rimmed. Make two dots for the eyes in the glasses.
- Draw lines for the sides of the glasses. Draw a mouth and stick chocolate jimmies into the top of the Twinkies for hair. Gently press the Twinkie into the frosted cupcake. And done!